Monday, November 17, 2008

Annual Smack:

The "What is our mascot?" yewts/hawk/pirates Vs. BYU Cougars.


It has recently been brought to my attention that yewt nation may just make their second BCS bowl appearance in X number of years if they beat BYU this Saturday. Conversely, there are scenarios out there that put BYU in a BCS bowl if they can summarily dismiss the yewts at home--something like what they did the last time they played at the yew. For a brief reminder about what happened two years ago, click here--or for just the audio (for those of you who simply can't bear to see "Beck to Harline" again) you can listen to the audio as called by Greg Wrubell (BYU's guy) or by the guys on KALL 700 (the guys who call games for the yewts--this one is particularly funny). Nothing like a refresher from two years ago to bring yewt nation back to reality--not to mention the fact that we converted on 4th and 18 last year to keep the drive alive that won the game.

Though this rivalry has nearly given me a coronary the last three years of play, I have to say... it has been good to have scoreboard smack for two years in football. During most years, yewt fans can rely on Basketball season to ease the pain of such heartwrenching football defeats against BYU, but that hasn't been the case the last two years because BYU is 4-0 against the yew in basketball (also, it doesn't help that the yewt men's team lost to a div 1-AA opponent AT HOME just last week... exactly WHO is Southwest Baptist?... I guess the yewts know who they are now).

Anyway...though I could bring the rhetorical smack in more ways then one, it often falls on deaf ears. So, because pictures are a little more difficult to dismss, enjoy what I have posted below:

Snapped during the 2006 loss in RES--you gotta admit,
yewt fan or not, this guy is priceless.

Try harder girls.

Snapped just after Harline caught the ball in the endzone
in the closing seconds of the 2006 game. It was a tough loss.
I can understand.

Admittedly, I didn't know that K-Fed was a fan.
Good luck flippin' those burgers!

Awesome, but I already have a brain and I don't need another one to know how to spell.


3 comments:

Bruce Holt said...

I think it is funny that someone who can't spell makes fun of someone else who can't spell!

Anyway...though I could bring the rhetorical smack in more ways then one

Go Utes!

Foster said...

Yewt!... Caught me on that one, Bruce--particularly embarrassing because that mistake is a pet peeve of mine when I grade freshmen comp papers. You would think that I would proof my work, but I had so much fun finding and laughing at the pictures...

Heather said...

Love the post, The Greg Wrubell audio gets me every time. Go Cougs!