Saturday, June 7, 2008

Life with Three

As I sit here listening to see if Noah is really asleep asleep and not just asleep ready to wake up and have me put him to sleep again, I can smell the spit up that is all down the front of my shirt from a few hours ago. I am thinking that there is no better time to write a little about some experiences I have had with our now expanded family.

I took my first trip with all three kids to the post office this week. I should have know better; there can be no other place as awful as the post office at peak time (when is peak time anyway, because no matter when I go, I seem to hit it!). Well, I had Mae carry the packages in while I carried Noah's car seat and held Ian's hand. When I got to the the back of the line, which was out the door, I set the car seat down and rotated between plugging Noah with his pacifier, and picking Ian off the floor where he had fallen like a limp noodle because he didn't want me to keep holding his hand. We were almost to the front of the line when Mae, who is supposed to be the easy on, knocked 15 envelopes, that were sitting out for sale, on the floor. I had to drag Ian over and help her clean them up.

Two days later I had my 6 week post partum OB visit. I don't know what I was thinking when I made the appointment, but I scheduled it right when Brad had class...so I got to take all three kids there too. I was a little more organized here. I strapped Ian in his stroller, had Mae push him and I carried Noah in his car seat. Noah was sleeping right up to the point that we went back the room. Although he had eaten one hour before, he wants to eat every time he wakes up--so he was not a happy little boy. Thank goodness one of the nurses came and got him and held him the rest of the appointment.

I was prepared with suckers and animal crackers for Mae and Ian, but the Dr. took so long to get into the room that those things were gone, and Mae was ticked that they didn't have any kid magazines. With nothing but a paper sheet covering me from the waist down, I sat in that room with Mae and Ian, trying to get Ian to stop kicking/hitting/and spitting on Mae and positioning him in his stroller just right so that he could reach any of the medical equipment or the posters on the walls. Mae didn't want to be there because she thought it was gross that I had to take my pants off and she kept commenting on this the entire appointment.

Finally, the Dr. came in and I strategically placed the kids where neither would see "anything" with the exam (this is when a lot of Ian kicking Mae went on). Thank goodness the nurse put Noah to sleep, so we left and had a relatively peaceful drive home.

Well...I survived my first week of real life with three kids and wonder what next week will bring.

10 comments:

Emily said...

OH LINDS!!! how i wish you lived closer. You really are wonder woman. At least Mae seems to be a good helper. I barely can go out with two. What a great mom you are.

Brynn said...

I love how Mae was ticked that there were no kids magazines. How dare they!! Funny story, too bad it is true. Carrying the car seat is a pain by itself. I'm with Emily-wish you lived closer. Then, we could tend your kids while you did necessary errands.

Cami said...

I wish you lived closer to me. You know the kids would have been here having fun like we always did. I feel your pain taking the kids out on errand. You are such a great mom. Whenever we are at the doctors and stuck in the office or most places for that matter, we play I Spy. Gavin and Harrison love this. Maybe your kids would get into it to. It sure helps to keep them busy.

Shanel said...

I don't know how you do it, or should I say are going to do it. It amazes me! If anyone can do it, it is YOU.

Alesha said...

What a terrific mother you are to three!!! I can totally picture Mae commenting the entire appointment about your pants off, how gross that is, ha! Kids, ya gotta love 'em, oh the memories!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking I better enjoy life without kids right now!!! Your kids are so adorable though. Mae is so good in class. I work till about 2 or 3 everyday so if you ever need a break I would be happy to watch ian and mae so you can relax a bit! It would make up for our lack of visiting teaching! :)

James and Sandra said...

Sounds like life is coming at you fast. I can't imagine having three at this point. Between potty training and changing diapers, the day never ends. You are one amazing woman. We can't wait to see you in July at Noah's blessing.

Melissa said...

You are SOO Brave- I hate going places with two kids. But Puuulleeese call me next time and I would LOOOVE to watch Mae and Ian while you run some errands. I know what you mean about the post office- every time I go it is busy and there is one person working- get with it post office!!?!? And the doctors story was funny too, when I would take Josh, the nurse wouldn't let him be in the room when I had my pants down so they took him out to color- that was fabulous and I was so thankful. I didn't want to traumatize him forever. I love Mae's comments though. Good job!

carly k said...

That just cracks me up! I love your kids!

Heather said...

oh mann, what a mom story! I took tyler with me to my 6 wk ob visit and since he was the only child at the time, and six weeks old, it wasn't a problem. But I was wearing just paper and his pacifier fell out so I got up and put it back in. then when I went to sit down again, (he got a view) his mout opened wide and the pacifier came out again. This happened like seriously five or six times (like he was in shock) and I was laughing but I vowed to him that I would never take him into the exam room of an Ob's office ever again. Nobody wants to do that with their mom. So far I have kept my promise.